Seasonal flu is a highly infectious illness caused by a flu virus. The virus infects your lungs and upper airways, causing a sudden high temperature and general aches and pains. You could also lose your appetite, feel nauseous and have a dry cough. Symptoms can last for up to a week. You can have a flu jab if you are over 65 years of age and have a long term illness.
You may be invited for a flu jab if you are:
- Are 65 years of age or over
- Are pregnant
- Have certain medical conditions
- Are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- Receive a carer’s allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
Or have a serious long-term health condition, including:
- Chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma
- Chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- Chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease
- Problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- A weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS
- Being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 or above)
- Eligible children who are aged 2 and 3 on 31st August 2019 – that is, children born between September 1 2015 and August 31 2017
- Children who are 4 years old are also eligible for flu vaccination provided they were 3 on August 31 2019. These children should be offered the vaccination at their general practice.
- Children in reception class and school years 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be offered their vaccination in school. In a couple of areas it might be offered in primary care settings.
If you have any queries please contact the surgery.
Call our reception to arrange for a flu injection, on 0118 9260026, the reception staff will inform you of any availability.
We have some nasal flu clinics for children aged:
- 2 – 3
- 2 – 17 with long term health conditions
Green Road ADULT FLU:
- Monday 23rd December 13:30-14:50
- Monday 30th December 13:30-14:50
Green Road CHILD/NASAL FLU:
- Monday 6th January 2020 15:20-16:20
Woodley Site CHILD/NASAL FLU:
- Tuesday 7th January 2020 15:00-16:50
Woodley Site ADULT FLU:
- Wednesday 8th January 2020 14:30-15:50
Please see reception to book your appointment!