Flu Vaccination Campaign 2020/2021
As autumn approaches in the coming months, now is the time to start thinking about getting the annual flu jab. This year, the free jab will be offered to more people amidst concerns around the still-present coronavirus.
The NHS flu programme in England typically offers the flu vaccine to those over the age of 65, pregnant women and those with existing health conditions or weakened immune systems. These groups will remain a high priority this year, while the programme will also be extended to reach out to more people.
In a typical winter, flu is one of the biggest health concerns for many older and vulnerable people. With the additional threat of coronavirus this year, the public are being advised to take extra care to avoid both of these diseases. The government hopes for as many people as possible to receive the flu jab to reduce the risk of caregivers and healthcare workers coming under immense pressure.
We will be holding our Flu Clinics over the next few months. Due to the current COVID-19 situation they will operate in a slightly different way to previous years to protect our patients and staff.
Due to COVID-19 we aim to have a staggered approach to our clinics. We are organising a one way system for patients, this will enable all staff and patients to be safe and compliant.Our clinical staff will be wearing masks and will be wearing full PPE. To keep yourself safe please do wear a mask and do make sure you do not have a temperature, or feel unwell on the day you have the flu vaccination. If you do feel unwell do let us know so we can cancel your appointment.
Our initial clinic dedicated to over 65s is on the 26th of September 2020 and will be held at the Woodley site. We also have an over 65s clinic on the 3rd of October 2020 which will be held at the Green Road Site. The additional Over 65s clinics to be held at Green road on Saturday the 10th of October from 08:00-12:00. (By Appointment only)
The under 65s (at risk category only) to be held at Green road on Saturday the 10th of October from 13:00-16:00. (By Appointment only)
We pre order our vaccines in December each year to get ready for the influenza season. The dates we offer are dependent on the vaccine deliveries. Deliveries are staggered by the pharmaceutical companies across the UK. In the past we have had to cancel clinics because vaccines have not been delivered on time.
We schedule clinics ONLY when the vaccines are in the building. We are expecting a further delivery in October 2020. We will then have other clinics ready for bookings. We understand this is frustrating for patients, but our clinics are dependent on the supply chain of the vaccines.
Flu Under 65s:
- Monday 12th October (JM) 16:00-18:00
- Tuesday 13th October (JM) 11:00-12:00
- Tuesday 27th October (JM) 10:50-13:30
- Thursday 29th October (JM) 08:00-13:00
- Monday 2nd November (JM) 18:30-20:00
- Monday 9th November (JM) 18:30-20:00
- Monday 16th November (JM) 18:30-20:00
Flu Unders & Overs (Mixed) AT Clinical Risk Group ONLY
- Monday 19th October (JM) 13:00-18:00
- Tuesday 20th October 2020 (JM) 08:30-13:30
Flu Under 65 At Clinical Risk ONLY
- Tuesday 24th November 15:20 – 16:50
Flu Over 65s
- Tuesday 24th November 13:30 – 15:15
Flu Under’s & Overs (Mixed)
- Thursday 15th October (CL) 14:40-16:30
Flu Over 65s
- Thursday 15th October (JE) 11:30-13:45
- Friday 16th October (JE) 10:45-12:45
Flu Under 65s
- Friday 16th October (JE) 08:23-10:30
- Monday 26th October (JE) 13:45-16:45
- Wednesday 28th October (JM) 08:00-13:00
- Monday 2nd November (MD) 14:30-16:30
- Thursday 19th November (JE) 07:15-12:45
- Friday 23rd October (MD) 09:10-10:40
- Tuesday 27th October (CL) 09:00-11:30
Please see reception to book your appointment. The child clinics are separate, you can ring us to book child nasal flus.
This year the flu vaccine is being offered on the NHS to:
- Adults 65 and over
- People with certain medical conditions (including children in at-risk groups from 6 months)
- Pregnant women
- People living with someone who’s at high risk from coronavirus (on the NHS shielded patient list)
- Children aged 2 and 3 on 31 August 2020
- Children in Primary School
- Children in Year 7 (secondary school)
- Frontline health or social care workers